Wednesday, August 29, 2012

This Week's E-book News

E-Book News:

For the first time, an e-book has been nominated for the International Thriller Writer Awards, reports Digital Book World (DBW). The author of the nominated novella is James Scott Bell.  By sheer coincidence, Bell was the writer featured in my Monday post this week for his advice on how to structure a piece of dramatic writing. I just saw the DBW write-up yesterday. Weird!  But more to the point, the industry is changing in dramatic ways very fast, now.

Also from DBW, a new, weekly bestseller list for e-books. I'm predicting this will gain traction fast.

Then there's this: a less optimistic look at e-reading trends as predicted by Forbes Magazine in an article on the effect of Tablets, like the iPad, on e-reading. Will readers read less? The author predicts, among other things, that because tablets are more appealing in many ways that straight e-readers, readers will be distracted by other capabilities of their tablet and spend less time actually reading books they've uploaded to them. Therefore:

  • " The rise of e-books and e-reading might slow.
  •  Publishers have to start thinking about content in new ways."
An interesting read. We seem to be on a fast path of change, but with no end in sight. Are there changes in the publishing world that you're particularly noticing right now?



8 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Going to read it in full now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brave new world in the making, Lydia. I think we're there, actually. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Linda,

    This is very interesting. Writers must keep on top of THE most current information, so we can figure out OUR plan of attack. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just keeps morphing, Michael. Maybe a good topic for scifi--only it's not scifi any more!

      Delete
  3. I've noticed that I now want to read eBooks exclusively, yep me, the one who said I would NEVER convert. *sigh* I have been converted. But change is good, and I'm embracing the future of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting how we adapt, Heather. I'm embracing the future of books, too, whatever that is--though in my case that might include buying up shelves of paper classics and favorites and squirreling them away so that I have them when the cyber world goes to hell in a hand basket. Oops, did I say that?

      Delete
  4. This is Fantastic Linda! Congratulations Heather.

    Also... on the ebook. I know it makes sense. Save the trees and when you travel, limiting the weight. But, I am a book lover. I love the feel. The pages. The smell. And I love to read in the bathtub and at the gym. Also, I really feel my eye-sight is going with sitting at the computer so long. So... I will hang onto my books for awhile longer. Well, as long as I can.

    But for economic sense, it just makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, Karlene (see end comment on reply to Heather) :))

      Delete