Friday, August 24, 2012

Mindset=Success


~ What's more important—love or money?
~ Would you rather be a teacher or a student?
~ Are you a task-oriented person or an idea person?
~ Do you define success as recognition/reward, or happiness/contentment?

These are trick questions. We live in a binary world, where questions about success are set up as binary opposites that make us think most people are either one or the other. The truth is likely to be not so crystal-clear, either/or.

Those questions are great for helping us develop characters in our writing, especially minor characters, who might strongly display one leaning or another. But major characters, like us, will have more layers and contradictions. Plenty of us have split personalities on these issues, or maybe omnivorous personalities, if there is such a thing. We want parts of it all. And that makes us normal, if a little frustrated and confused.

So what kind of mindset does translate into success in writing? After spending my time and energy on manuscripts, and questioning myself because people who know and care about me think I must be a little crazy to keep going without that mega-$millions contract, I've stumbled across a couple of home truths.

OneIt's about the work. If you care more about the quality of your work than you do about being recognized for your work, you will likely be recognized for your work. (It's no mistake that paradox is a fundamental truth in great literature.)

Two: To succeed, it's necessary to complete the projectIf this is true for you, too (I say that because there are people—one or two—who don't feel this way), then, you can adopt part of a success model from 'the outside world' where people don't do 'what-if'-hypothetical work so much. A key to success there is task orientation.  Get things done. One at a time. Break your project down into the pieces you need to accomplish, whatever they are (and you may find more layers and more pieces as time goes on). Focus on completing those, one little piece at a time. That was a tough one for me to get my mind around for a while, since, as a young adult, and even well into my business career, my answer to the third question at the beginning of this post was "I'm an idea person, of course!!" Seriously? Who isn't, in the writing world? Writers who know how to make their ideas work are successful. And 'work' here means completing the tasks of writing.

That's what works for me. But we are not all the same, thank goodness. What mindset works best for you?

8 comments:

  1. So agree with your mindset. And it's one of the things we can control in this crazy world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Natalie. It often does feel like a crazy world, and we can control some of our journey. It's a good feeling.

      Delete
  2. Yes. One and Two. Plus I'll add this, "Enjoy the work."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny, I was thinking, these have to be trick questions because I'm both on a few of them! My mind set is that every path is different and that's what makes the writing world so wonderful. I embrace all paths and encourage each writer to find the one that is best for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent mindset, Heather. That's what writing's all about at its most essential.

      Delete
  4. This is so true. Mindset does equal success. I believe in your truths, too. We must love the work. We must also get it done. Answering your questions, I'm thinking... oh, I am creative! But... I do know I can be a task master. What we can't do is allow those we love, friends or family, judgement to find a way to diminish what we do, and why we do it. We can only live with our passion and choice.
    Now take this the next level to our characters. Some good questions for them too. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had you in mind when I wrote about this, Karlene. :) You have more focus and multitasking ability than almost anyone I've known. I think that comes from a combination of your amazing energy level and a determined, thought-out mindset. It's impressive to watch it work.

      Delete