Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fall Events and Awards

Leaves have turned an array of reds, browns, and yellows, the air is crisp with the promise of chilly weather, and the mornings are eerily quiet as the kids are all nestled in their classrooms. Don't you just love fall? Everything about it is conducive to a writing atmosphere. It makes me want to sit down with a cup of hot tea at my computer and get in touch with my characters. Which I'll be doing as soon as I'm done chatting with you fine peeps.

To add to the writing spirit of fall, NaNoWriMo is approaching! If you aren't sure what that is you've got to check this link out. It is a massive organization of writers who have come together to dedicate an entire month to writing without guilt. The acronym stands for National Novel Writing Month and they mean it. Many people who participate actually complete 50,000 words, which for many middle grade and young adult authors, can be an entire novel. You're allowed to outline but you can't start before November and you can't go back and edit until the end of the month. It is a fun exercise in writing freedom that I highly recommend if you've never done it.

Me, I don't like to rush so I won't be participating but I'll be cheering on all my friends who are. In other writing news I'd love to thank Tina Moss for passing this award on to the Critique Sisters. We are honored and of course wish to share the cake with others so I'd love to pass it along to three of our new sweet blogger followers:








4 comments:

  1. OMG, you guys are the sweetest ever! Thank you for the blog award -- The Irresistibly Sweet, how fitting :-)
    Now I'm going to shout it out from the top of my blogging mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You three ladies are the sweetest trio, I know, and MORE than deserving! But, I agree about NaNoWriMo. I tried it once and...way too much pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the site, Heather. I'm excited and am gearing up to try it for the first time ever, but not forcing myself. If it works, great, if not, I'll find how to use it best for me. . . maybe the same way you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, Than you so much for the award! Sweet? Takes one to know one. :) You're a doll. Thanks for the link Heather... I'm thinking about doing this. We'll see if it's possible with my work schedule.

    Happy Fall everyone!

    ReplyDelete