Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Zombie Apocalypse Has Hit

You think it hasn't hit, that you're safe. But you're so very, very wrong. The Mayan's were right. Don't believe me? Look around you? Don't worry, I'll wait for your eyes to adjust to the 3-D world beyond your computer screen. See what I mean? No? Look again. See that woman across the table from you. Well, you can see the top of her head at least, because she's texting away. Then there's the boy at the next table over, his face alight with the glow of an ereader. In fact, everyone in the coffee shop is clutching some kind of device that they are staring vacantly into.

Oh yes, the apocalypse has indeed hit and we are merciless for we didn't even see it coming. And here I was all prepared with my shotgun and combat boots. But they are useless against the masses of techies that are ensnared within their electronic devices. For they are in a different world, a place shotgun shells don't reach. Everyone is updating profiles, reading eBooks, watching videos, texting, or surfing the internet. We are all connected, and yet we have never been more divided. Ripe for the picking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as ensnared as you are and I quite like it in this new world of ours. But I do wonder, what will happen to the old one while we're away?

In all seriousness though, I'm curious, have you succumbed to the e-revolution? Do you own an ereader? What is your preference, hardback, paperback, or ebook?

~Heather

12 comments:

  1. I'm so caught up in the eRevolution from the computer screen to the ereader to the iphone to the TV screen. Wait, there's a WORLD out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was shocked to hear there was too. ;)

      Delete
  2. Freaky. And eerie. I just read that in England three new cybercrime fighting centers have been launched. Brave new world--oh, yeah. I do not own an e-reader. I'm tending toward justifying getting an iPad on that basis, though :-) I've read a few books as e-books, and have to say I may never fully adapt. I like to flip back through pages as I'm reading and find phrases or ideas that get tweaked as I'm reading. Does this mean I'm going to be so much flotsam on the e-revolution cutting floor? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it means you'll be the one fighting the zombies. ;)

      Delete
  3. I quite agree. This is somewhere in between zombies and the body snatchers scenario (but it should be the brain snatchers or some such)

    Anyway. I like holding a book. I hope they never get rid of books because I like them.

    I don't mind that OTHER people like ereaders--that means they might be down loading one of my ebooks into them and I'm like Lucy in Charley Brown jingling my nickles when I see the spike at Amazon (^;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, brain snatchers. That makes an eerie kind of sense. I'm like you, I have to hold a book in my hands. Some of my friends are only published in eBook format and it breaks my heart.

      Delete
  4. That's kind of scary to think about. Yes... all electronic. It's kind of nice to not log-on, lock-in, upload, download or any of the rest. But how do we survive without it?
    I'm thinking of trying that myself to see what happens.
    Thanks for a great thought.
    Oh... I don't have an ereader. But I did upload Kindle on my MAC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to not have to rely on all this technology and reconnect to actual people. But I fear we're heading away from that more every day.

      Delete
  5. I've been absorbed in it. However, I used to download short ebooks to read on my computer at work during lunch. Now I have an ipad and my daughter has a kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, though I don't have an ereader yet. My resistance is fading though...

      Delete
  6. Once, while at restaurant, I glanced over to a family dining...however they were all on some device. I thought it was sad that while they were all together...they weren't connected. I don't have an e-reader just yet, but will soon have to because here where I live in Mexico, it's hard to find books in English.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is kind of sad Em. :( And bummer that it's tough to find books in English there! I'm sorry to hear that.

    ReplyDelete