Monday, June 3, 2013

How Do Agents Read Your First Pages?

"The most successful openings are the ones that suck me in and make me quickly forget that I'm reading something. These are stories that get me involved in the character and welcome me with a voice I'll want to spend lots of time with."

That is part of how Agent Marie Lamba (Jennifer de Chiara Literary Agency) answered a great question from Jan at the Adventures n YA & Children's Publishing blog some weeks ago. Her answer and the answers of eleven other agents are featured in the post. The question:

"What is different about the way you read the first pages of a manuscript as an agent versus how you would read them as a reader or critique partner?"

If YA or children's writing is a major interest for you, you may have seen this blog post already. But even though the agents all do focus in those categories, their responses are appropriate for pretty much all writing, I think.

So, in a continuation of bringing you great blog posts from others while I'm away wandering and exploring other lands, here is the link to Agent Roundup: Reading As An Agent.

6 comments:

  1. That was a great post. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? Agents, I've found, are often quite different from each other in their specifics, depending on many factors, but the basics offered here are important for all of us to keep top-of-mind. Thanks for dropping by, Natalie.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking to our post, Linda! We were lucky to have so many agents answer the question for us. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for posting, Martina. It was a great topic and reminder for all writers.

      Delete
  3. That's an excellent way to judge an opening page. I'm dying to know what the rest said. On my way to the link now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? I think you'll like the post :-)

      Delete